Chiropractic is a system of diagnosing and correcting misalignment of the joints, particularly those of the spine. The spine protects the spinal cord, which sends nerves to every muscle, organ, and cell in the body. A misalignment in the spine can irritate those nerves causing pain, organ dysfunction and disease.
Chiropractic adjustments restore normal function, alleviate pain, and allow the body to operate at optimal performance.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture, simply stated, is a health science which is used to successfully treat both pain and dysfunction in the body. Early Chinese physicians discovered there is an energy network (Chi) running just below the surface of the skin which communicates from the exterior to the internal organs and structures at over 1000 acupoints on the body. When this vital energy becomes blocked or weakened, an effect in a body system becomes evident. Stimulation (“needling”) of one or a combination of key acupoints on the body may restore harmony to the affected area.
How does it work?
Acupuncturists stimulate specific points along the meridian (acupoints) in order to restore balance to the affected area.
- Acupuncture raises levels of certain hormones and enzymes that boost the body’s immune response.
- Placing a needle in the skin stimulates the brain to send endorphins (the body’s natural pain killers) to the area and interrupts the small nerve fibers responsible for the perception of pain.
- Acupuncture constricts and dilates blood vessels helping with inflammation, pain and immune response.
In order for the body to function at optimal levels, it needs the right tools. Nutrition plays a huge part in that role. Everything you put into your body has an effect on all your body systems. Absence of certain nutrients can have as much of a devastating effect as excess of certain foods. Whether it’s removing something from your diet, or adding certain nutrients, Dr. Hill can help design a program to make sure you are getting the most out of what you eat and the vitamins you are taking.
Your child has a spine and nervous system that need cared for just like an adult. It is actually even MORE important to have your children checked as infancy and childhood are impressionable times of rapid growth and development of the spine and nervous system. Chiropractic care is gentle and safe. Only light force is needed when adjusting an infant or child’s spine. Imagine the pressure needed to press your pinky finger into a ripe red tomato and you get the idea.
When it comes to infants, chiropractic care helps with breastfeeding problems, colic, digestive problems, allergies, and sleep problems. Chiropractic adjustments can affect the body in many positive ways because of its influence on the nervous system.
Kids Chiropractic Checklist - life events that would call for chiropractic care
- help with breastfeeding
- digestive problems
- sleep problems
- bed wetting
- physical developmental delays
- developmental milestones: begin to hold up head, sitting, crawling, walking
- ear infections
- falls/rough plays
- not feeling themselves
For a woman trying to get pregnant, there are many ways Hill Chiropractic can help:
- Chiropractic helps maintain a healthy nervous system. The nerves originating in the low back supply the ovaries and uterus, so adjustments can ensure those nerves are operating without interference.
- Acupuncture can help with a wide variety of fertility issues as well as increasing probability of egg implantation.
- Nutritional counseling can help make sure your body is getting the right vitamins it needs to help with fertility and implantation.
For a woman who is already pregnant, Hill Chiropractic has a number of services to offer:
- Chiropractic care during pregnancy is not only safe, it is essential in making sure the mother’s spine stays aligned as her pelvis expands to make room for the growing baby. Adjustments not only alleviate mid and low back pain that often accompany pregnancy, but can help lessen the pain of childbirth. Many women report less pain and easier birth after going through chiropractic care with their second child.
- Acupuncture is a natural treatment that can be used to alleviate pain, swelling in the feet and hands, morning sickness and many other symptoms pregnant women experience. In addition, for women post-term, acupuncture can induce labor without pitosin or other drugs.